Gilasi Care and Installation
Gilasi surfaces are maintenance free and easy to clean. For routine cleaning use any mild soap or household cleaner with a dish rag, sponge or White Scotch Pad. Wipe up spills as they occur.
For stubborn or dried-on deposits, use a non-abrasive cleaner/polisher (e.g. Barkeepers Friend, Bon Ami) with a sponge or damp cloth and rub in a circular motion. Do not use bleach, harsh chemicals or abrasives. Gilasi surfaces are heat- and scratch-resistant, and we recommend using trivets and cutting boards to avoid excessive wear.
General Fabrication Instructions for Gilasi
- Gilasi cuts and tools like natural stone with wet saws and diamond pads. Sink cut-outs need to be rodded both front and back. Layout should be done to maximize slab utilization.
- Use color-matched or clear, knife grade-type epoxy, and fill noticeable voids in edges after cutting.
- Polish edges to a 200 grit. Finish with a Gray Scotch Brite non-woven fine grade silicon carbide disk or comparable brand.
- Perform standard installation seam bonding, color matching the epoxy tint to the slab.
- Slabs need to be stored inside the edge and clamped together.
- The fabricator must inspect the sheet for damage or defects before fabrication.
- The fabricator must inspect the sheets for proper color match of sheets to be used on the same jobs before fabrication.
- Proper stone working/diamond tooling must be used for cutting, shaping, and polishing Gilasi.
- Lamination of Gilasi Surfaces should be done using 2-part epoxy adhesives.
- Inside corners without a seam require a minimum of a 1/4" radius to reduce inside corner stress.
- Inside corners created using 2 pieces utilizing a butt-seam, European seam, or similar style seam do not require inside radius.
- Top and bottom edges on straight runs, and cut-outs should be rounded over or chamfered to a minimum of 1/16".
- Outside corners should have a minimum radius of 1/8".
Cutouts in Gilasi
- Radius cut-outs are recommended but square cut-outs are permitted as long as saw-cut in corners does not extend beyond the corner. Saw-cuts that extend beyond the corner of the cut-out must be completely filled with 2-part epoxy to prevent cracks.
- A minimum of 1/8" clearance must be used around any appliance, cook-top, and sink for expansion.
- Cut-outs require support on all sides within 3", no closer than 1" on heat producing cut-outs to avoid trapping heat.
- The use of Nomex heat tape is recommended on cut-outs around heat producing appliances.
*Rodding should be used on overhangs 6" or larger, sink fronts and over dishwashers or other appliance gaps in the substrate.
Undermount Sink Specifications
- Under-mount sinks less than 10 lbs can be mounted using a full bead of silicone and under-mount clips or brackets.
- Under-mount sinks exceeding 10 lbs (example: under-mount cast-iron) must be mounted using cradles or brackets attached to the cabinets.
- Integrated solid surface bowls can be adhered directly to the underside of Gilasi Surfaces using solid surface adhesive in combination with under-mount clips or brackets.
- Gilasi Surfaces are not recommended for exterior installations.
- Cabinets should be flat and true within 1/8" over a 10' span.
- Gilasi Surfaces should not be installed on any cabinet or base that cannot support a minimum of 28 lbs per square foot.
- For Gilasi Surfaces installed between walls a minimum of 1/16" gap is required at each end. For appearance the gap can be caulked with a flexible adhesive.
- Gilasi Surfaces should be fastened to cabinets or base using dabs of flexible adhesive. Never rigidly adhere Gilasi Surfaces to other materials such as wood, steel, etc.
- Never install mechanical fasteners (screw, nails, bolts, etc) directly into Gilasi Surfaces.
- Never install Gilasi Surfaces over existing countertops.
Fabrication and Installation
For structures with support on 4 sides and depths:
- Less than 26", outer perimeter support is sufficient (maximum length is 107").
- Greater than 26", additional front to back support is required every 36" in addition to the outer perimeter support.
For structures with support on 3 sides:
- Less than 26" deep, additional support is required at widths greater than 36".
- Greater than 26" deep, additional support is required at widths greater than 24".
Cabinet Overhangs (e.g. snack-bars):
- Less than 15" no support required.
- Overhangs over 6" use corbels evenly spaced at no greater than 24-inch intervals.
- All seams must be completely filled with a color matched 2-part Epoxy adhesive.
- Seams must be supported on both sides of the seam, both front and back.
- Seaming over a dishwasher is not recommended and should be avoided.
- Seaming thru a heat producing appliance (e.g. cook-top, pasta boiler, etc.) is not recommended.
Seam appearance is not a warranty issue. Recommended seam width is less than 1/16"; recommended height mismatch is less than 1/64".